‘Going Dark’ was a rather cryptic message at twitter but it is more than enough to not second guess that a new Call of Duty game is coming. Now not long after, the Reveal Trailer is out and we finally can see where this long old and undying series is heading.
So it seems this time developer Infinity Ward would be showcasing the use of a new engine (like about time) and what better way to show it than rebooting the entire Modern Warfare series. This time we are going right back what many would argue as the best Call of Duty of the entire franchise.
With the capabilities of the new engine, Modern Warfare has never looked this better especially with the support of 4k and HDR. While Black Ops 4 has led us to believe that all the series need is to embrace the full online experience, the new Modern Warfare is bringing back a single-player campaign which was the reveal’s main focus is.
This is no simple reboot of the same game using a new engine but rather a ‘re-imagining‘ of the series with more expansion in the story and adding in more features that could not be added back then. A reboot also means few notable returning characters such as the ever obvious Captain Price and more will be present but this time the game be split into two parts. The first part will have you playing as a Tier 1 operator while the second, a female rebel fighter in the Middle East.
Infinity Ward has given their word that this time around:
- The annual pass model will be ditched and will deliver free maps, content and even more post-launch events. While this sound like a worthwhile celebration, we all know money has to be earned one way or another for them to churn out more content.
- One big thing is the inclusion of the cross-play feature between PC and consoles. There is no clarification yet whether Xbox One and PlayStation 4 players can play together.
- Co-op play will make a return under the name “Elite Operations“.
- As mentioned, brand new engine.
- A diverse campaign that will be told from two different perspectives.
- “Immersive narrative experience” will be featured in all of the modes available in the game from Single-player, Multiplayer and Co-op.
As the trailer revealed, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will be coming on October 25th to PS4, Xbox One and PC. More details should be revealed as we approach E3.