Journey through the stars as Assemble Entertainment and developer DigiTales Interactive have revealed their 2.5D pixel art sci-fi adventure, Between Horizons. Announced exclusively during the MIX NEXT publisher showcase, Between Horizons’ reveal was accompanied with a developer commentary from the creators, known for their work on Lacuna. Arriving on Steam, GOG, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S Q4 2023, Between Horizons challenges players to uncover the mysteries of their ship, the Zephyr, but with a catch: there’s only one shot to get it right. Explore the ship’s unique areas, get to know its inhabitants and find clues that establish story connections until the full picture reveals itself — or not.
Developed by the creators of critically acclaimed sci-fi noir Lacuna, Between Horizons is set aboard the Zephyr, humanity’s first-generation ship en route to a distant, mysterious star. Players assume the role of Stella, born on the ship 24 years ago and recent inheritor of her father’s post as Chief of Security. Dive into the mystery and uncover the conspiracy that threatens to disrupt the Zephyr’s social order and work to foil it — align with them.
Between Horizons is a modern 2.5D pixel art adventure that brings a branching narrative into a semi-open world. The developers at DigiTales proudly maintained the tight pacing of Lacuna which translated into crafting a meaningful, space-faring story laced with thought-provoking dilemmas and rich sci-fi themes. Players will need to reevaluate their moral compasses and make increasingly tough decisions as the situation aboard the ship spirals out of control. After all, those alive today won’t be around to see the end of the mission, so the new Chief of Security must shape the future.
- A New Type of Experience: Between Horizons merges investigative-style gameplay with a branching sci-fi story in an ever-expanding Metroidvania-style environment
- Solving cases for yourself: The flexible evidence system lets players assign clues to cases, confront ship denizens about them, and submit any case with evidence players have connected to it. Everything found on the ship is connected, but figuring out how — that’s the challenge.
- At What Cost?: Underneath the game’s exciting and plausible sci-fi plot lies a number of thought-provoking problems inviting players to weigh intergenerational responsibility against personal freedom
- Getting New Perspective: Timeless pixel art mixed with 3D environments and compelling visual effects come together in Between Horizons, creating a unique, beautiful art style
- Failure is Very Much an Option: There are no second chances — submitting wrong solutions means the story will go on and players live with the consequences. A new and improved auto-save system will make sure there is no going back, as the story branches and endings are based on player decisions, none of which can be taken back.