Zen Studios recently shares info of the horror-themed, strategy RPG Dread Nautical coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Pc via Epic Game Store in a scant few weeks on April 29, 2020.
A mix of Tactical and Horror
A tactical, turn-based RPG with roguelike elements, Dread Nautical combines immersive strategic gameplay with a charming—yet captivatingly eerie—atmosphere, making for one of the most unique videogame releases of the year.
Mysterious, supernatural forces have overwhelmed the luxury cruise liner known as the Hope with malevolent monstrosities aimed to wipe out any guest in their path. After choosing one of four unique characters, players will traverse twenty, randomly generated decks of the ship, seeking food and other supplies. Along the way, they’ll encounter 11 other colorful survivors, who may choose to join the fight based on what the player input and savvy social interaction. Properly planning which companions to bring, how they attack, and what skills to upgrade are the keys to escaping this “vacation” alive.
“The release of Dread Nautical to consoles and PC speaks to Zen Studios’ pursuit of developing a broad range of well-polished games to redefine our studio as more than just Pinball Wizards. We’re proud of everything we’ve brought to the pinball space, but are ready to take on new challenges in the broader gaming space – More importantly, we are incredibly excited to allow our dev teams the freedom to create games they want to play, including titles in the turn-based RPG genre like Operencia: The Stolen Sun and CastleStorm II.”
-Mel Kirk, Vice President of Publishing
Features displayed in the official youtube channel:
- CHOOSE YOUR SURVIVOR — AND GATHER MORE: After you’ve chosen to play as one of four unique characters, you’ll traverse 20 decks of the ship and encounter 13 other colorful—and playable—survivors. You’ll cross paths with a Scottish captain, the ship’s surly mechanic, a Hollywood has-been, a prehistoric woman misplaced in time and more. But watch what you say—your words affect their willingness to fight beside you. And you’ll want them there, too, as all survivors boast exclusive special abilities, and most have their own specific side quests. At the same time, panic will overtake overused survivors, rendering them less effective.
• PLAN YOUR ATTACK: With yourself and up to two survivors fighting side by side at once, you’ll need to strategize the most ideal path to victory against zombie-like Thralls, bile-spewing Spitters, horrific bosses and many more. You’ll need to think several steps ahead, plotting the most optimal use of each character’s action points. And watch your use of weapons, bandages and other items—they deteriorate, and your resources are very limited.
• UPGRADE YOURSELF, YOUR ITEMS AND YOUR SURROUNDINGS: Through exploration and success in combat encounters, use any scraps and mystic runes you find to upgrade items and your own stats and abilities, respectively. In order to do so, you’ll also need to enhance your crafting station and mysterious book of the occult, also with scraps. And don’t forget to build some beds—if you don’t, then you can’t recruit new survivors without kicking others to the curb.
• SEARCH, SEARCH AND SEARCH SOME MORE: You and your survivors need to eat, so scour every inch of the ship for food. And while you’re at it, pick up any weapons, armor, and items you find—you’re gonna need ‘em. Don’t be afraid to leave some things behind, though, as characters have storage limitations. And don’t spend too much time exploring one area—enemy hordes may overwhelm your location!
• ENDLESS VACATION: Each deck of the ship is procedurally generated, ensuring unlimited replayability and new places to search. As the game progresses, even the easier lower decks increase in challenge, should you choose to return.
• Distinct art direction that mixes low-polygon assets with art deco design and modern rendering effects, perfectly straddling the line between cartoon and horror
• More than 150 weapons to master
• More than 30 enemy types to defeat
• Fully voiced cast of nearly 20 characters
• Choose to challenge ROGUE-LITE, difficult ROGUE-LIKE or the punishing INSANE