Indie studio Retro Forge in partnership with publisher Dear Villagers (The Forgotten City, ScourgeBringer) reveals that the upcoming 16-bit inspired action-RPG Metroidvania adventure Souldiers will launch on Nintendo Switch, Steam, Xbox, and PlayStation Platforms on May 19th. This announcement was revealed exclusively at The MIX and the game is exhibiting at this year’s Game Developer Conference.
Souldiers wraps Metroidvania exploration, crunchy souls like combat, RPG customization, and precision platforming into one gorgeous pixel art package. Players take on the role of either scout, caster, or archer, battling for freedom in Terragaya, a mystical land on the border between life and death.
Each class has its own unique attacks along with different agility, attack, defense, and health stats. Your character can further be customized through branches of unlockable skill trees, offering a huge degree of freedom as you venture through Souldiers’ fantastical realm.
Outwit cunning enemies, solve nefarious puzzles, upgrade your character, and explore every corner of a dazzling, intricate 16-bit world. Souldiers is a handcrafted retro epic for the ages.
“Souldiers merges 90s side-scrolling action/adventure games with more contemporary design principles – We wanted to capture the speed and legibility of the classic 2D metroidvanias with the complex combat system of a more modern affair, letting players tailor their hero to their specific playstyle. We think it’s the perfect marriage of old and new and we can’t wait for everyone to play Souldiers when it comes out May 19th.”
Alberto Hernández – Creative Director at Retro Forge
- Choose your class: Unleash the fury of your sword with the scout, summon the wrath of elements with the caster, or rain down arrows on your foes with the archer.
- Gripping combat: Slash, parry and dodge your way through an ever-evolving roster of enemies, upgrading your skills and equipment to find a combat style that’s perfect for you.
- An interconnected world: Discover a sprawling handcrafted landscape filled with treasures, tough-as-nails bosses, and secret pathways.
- 16-bit sensation: Terragaya comes to life with vibrant world-class pixel art-packed to the brim with details.
- Smart moves: Solve environmental puzzles and leap from place to place using an ever-expanding moveset.