Although April appears to have a smaller game lineup compared to the prior months of February and March – a cursory glance at the month’s offerings reveals there are many indie and triple-A titles that might interest you. There is a blend of adventure, RPG, shooting, and action elements into an exciting mix. Here are our line ups of games we can’t wait to play in April 2022!
Despite the title suggesting fears and terror, Terrorbane instead is actually a comedic approach to a gaming RPG, breaking the fourth wall along the way. BitNine Studio and publisher WhisperGames are inviting you to play their broken game on April 1st (hopefully it’s not an April fools joke), glitching its way on Nintendo Switch and PC.
Source: Game Trailers
Break the Simulation in Deadburg
Depending on how players progress in Whiskerburg, the Terrorbane will descend to Deadburg, a space where unused programs end up. Inspired by the glitchy levels in Pokémon Red and Blue, plenty of bugs plague Deadburg and the citizens roaming the town.
Bring it Back to Windows 1995 in Error 101
Inspired by the Windows 1995 and 98 software, BitNine Studio created Error 101, a level that tasks players with becoming a developer and creating their own game. Utilize the different programs in the menu to unlock all three assets needed to create a game. Be careful not to use the sister’s card to buy the assets. She’s trying to make it to the next paycheck.
Experience a meta-narrative adventure where you shape the story
Meet The Developer: a fourth-wall-breaking character that acts as both a narrator and an antagonist within the game.
Discover hilarious bugs and glitches, which can be seen in the bug list menu
Relive iconic (bug-filled) moments in video game history
Multiple playthroughs invite you to discover as many bugs as possible and find every branching path.
Forgive Me Father
My horror radar is tingling as the upcoming first-person shooter by developer Byte Barrel and publisher 1C Entertainment, designed as inspired Comic book style world by the novels of H.P. Lovecraft. Forgive me father will be shooting its way to the April 7th release on PC, leaving Early Access and launching into its full version. Increasing the number of levels by more than 50%, introducing a new playable character, and much more.
Source: 1C Entertainment
In a Lovecraft-inspired world full of secret and hard-to-reach areas, you will embark on a journey to explore this world gone mad in search of answers and relief. You will upgrade your character and weapons with items you find or purchase, using your many active skills and the creeping madness itself to defeat hordes of sanity-defying monstrosities.
- Feeling of a classic FPS from the 90s – Timelapse animations, opponents, and elements of 2D in a 3D environment; first aid kits and life points, non-reloading weapons, powerups during dynamic combat with numerous opponents.
- Custom combat experience – With scripture in one hand and weapons powered by an unknown substance in the other, the player will face the challenge of maintaining their humanity. It is up to the player to decide how their equipment evolves, and to find ways of defeating hordes of unpredictable opponents.
- Dynamic level of madness – Directly influencing not only the audio-visual experience but gameplay itself, the effect varying depending on the current level of madness.
- Presented in a dark comic book style – Hand-drawn graphics designed to maintain a distinctive comic book look, where any screenshot from the game could be a part of a new comic book.
- Mood straight from Lovecraft’s dark novels – All throughout the game, the player will feel the atmosphere of dread and horror that the works of HP Lovecraft are renowned for. Surrounded by the occult and forces of eternal evil, experience the feelings of hopelessness, madness, and confusion, and the burning need to find answers and bring back some semblance of reason and sanity to the world.
- Many atmospheric levels and varied bestiary – A diverse world entirely made by hand, full of interesting enemies ranging from possessed inhabitants to monsters straight out of your worst nightmares.
- Two heroes to choose from – Each with their own, unique development tree. Experience the story from the perspective of either a priest or a journalist.
- Endless Mode – Endure the unending onslaught of wave after wave of monsters. How long can you survive? Defeat bosses during the main story to open more arenas!
This looks like fun, sort of.#gamedev #indiedev #Lovecraft #horror #UE4 pic.twitter.com/LSzA8UlJuI
— Byte Barrel – Forgive Me Father (@ByteBarrel) March 30, 2022
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Feel the force as LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is heading to a release this April 5th, 2022 on Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One consoles, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC. Warner Bros. Games, TT Games, the LEGO Group, and Lucasfilm Games showing the biggest and most visually stunning Lego Star Wars game in the series to date, and the trailer below showcases some of the most iconic Star Wars characters including Emperor Palpatine, General Grievous, and Boba Fett.
Source: Warner Bros. Games UK & Ireland
Set defrosters for 5 days! #LEGOStarWarsGame pic.twitter.com/ymuDf5XTOB
— LEGO Star Wars Game (@LSWGame) March 31, 2022
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Feel the electrifying force in the palm of your hands with Nintendo Switch as the force unleashes on April 20th, 2022 as announced by Aspyr and Lucasfilm Games.
Source: Aspyr Media
- Play as Starkiller and destroy all who stand in your way on your quest to serve Lord Vader.
- Unleash epic Force powers and lightsaber combos with optional Nintendo Switch Joy-Con™ motion controls.
- Battle your friends in local multiplayer Duel Mode to determine the galaxy’s most powerful Jedi, with 27 characters to choose from!
- Travel the Star Wars galaxy and defeat powerful Jedi Masters across a variety of iconic locations, including Cloud City, the Wookiee homeworld Kashyyyk, the floral planet Felucia, and the junk world of Raxus Prime.
Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition
A dream come true for JRPG fans including myself as Square Enix will be releasing Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition digitally on PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Switch on April 7th.
- 3D models converted to HD*
- Brand new artwork and character redesign by Nobuteru Yuuki*
- Refined background music by Yasunori Mitsuda
- Switch enemy encounters on or off
- Background filter feature*
- Battle enhancement features
- Auto-battle function
- French, Italian, German, and Spanish localization is now added
- Switch between imitation pixel font and HD font*
- The inclusion of Radical Dreamers, never before released in the West.
- Players can choose between playing with original or updated graphics*
*The 3D models, illustrations, font, and background filter cannot be toggled separately. They will all be switched together.
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Vanillaware (Odin Sphere and Dragon’s Crown) and Atlus will be releasing 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim on April 12th on Nintendo Switch. Dive deeper into the adventure in the latest Mysteries Trailer.
Source: Official ATLUS West
About 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
A sci-fi mystery epic spanning thirteen intertwining stories in 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. Now, this critically acclaimed title is coming to Nintendo Switch. Uncover the truth and delve into a 2D sidescrolling adventure featuring gorgeous art and environments. Then, battle the kaiju in fast-paced, top-down combat and fight to defend humanity!
- Beautifully rendered in Vanillaware’s signature hand-painted visual style
- Uncover a deep story through visions of the past and the future
- The doomsday clock is ticking. Become a Sentinel pilot, customize your mech, and fight waves of kaiju in top-down tactical combat
Nintendo Switch Sports
Nintendo’s Wii sports sequel is making its way to Nintendo Switch release on April 29th, 2022. Enjoy sports indoors with soccer, volleyball, bowling, tennis, badminton, and chambara using intuitive motion controls with a Joy-Con controller. Face off against sports rivals near and far to earn in-game rewards, or aim for the prestigious Pro League! A seventh sport, Golf, will be added this fall.
Features as shared on Nintendo:
- Swing, kick, spike, and bowl your way to victory in six sports.
- Play Soccer, Volleyball, Bowling, Tennis, Badminton, and Chambara (swordplay).
- Motion controls will get you moving and help turn your real-world actions into in-game movements.
- Use the Leg Strap accessory to kick the ball in a Soccer Shoot-Out or, after a free update this summer, in Soccer matches as well.
- Play online** and challenge random opponents to earn in-game rewards like clothing, gear and much more or reach the Pro League.
- Play with friends and family locally* or online**—in some sports, you and a friend can even team up on the same system to take on other teams online.
- Golf is planned to be added via a free update this fall.
House of the Dead Remake
Rediscover this timeless arcade classic from SEGA on Nintendo Switch will be released digitally on Nintendo Switch on April 7th, 2022 as announced by MegaPixel Studio and Forever Entertainment.
Shoot creatures like in the 90’s with the remake of this cult arcade shooting game!
Renowned biochemist and geneticist, Dr Roy Curien is obssessed by his lifetime project of discovering the nature of life and death. When he finally succeeds, it’s time for his former colleague Sophie Richards to ask for the help of her friends at AMS; Thomas Rogan and agent G. Their mission is simple, end the doctor’s macabre project and save all the employees of the lab. Play solo or with a friend and shoot hordes of undeads and nightmare creatures in this fantastically gory and shameless arcade shooter!
- A state-of-the-art remake with upgraded graphics, audio, and new game modes for this arcade hit released in 1997!
- Solo and multiplayer using the JoyCon.
- Nonstop action!
- Unlock the full monster encyclopedia to learn about them and their weaknesses.
In addition, Microids reveal the content of the Limidead Edition for The House of the Dead: Remake, coming out on Nintendo Switch release for June 14th, 2022 in North America!
The House of the Dead : Remake Limidead Edition dévoile son contenu ! ?
L'édition Limidead sera lancée le 26 mai sur Nintendo Switch en Europe. pic.twitter.com/ZX8P4uX8Sn
— Microids (@Microids_off) March 22, 2022