Details as shared on Steam:
We Are The Caretakers is a new type of strategy game, blending squad building, RTS-with-pause, narrative, and turn-based JRPG combat into one thrilling campaign. The game introduces players to an original sci-fi universe with nuanced characters, grim dark narrative, deep mysteries, layered unit management challenges, and escalating conflicts that have no easy or absolute solutions. It is developed by a critically-acclaimed and diverse team including IGF nominees, ex-Microsoft, and ex-Blizzard developers.
- AFROFUTURIST UNIVERSE: Former Blizzard artist Anthony Jones’ breathtaking afrofuturist style and signature character designs bring a new sci-fi world to life.
- REPUTATION SYSTEM: Every action committed in the world affects how others see the Caretakers. Do they fear you? Or will they support your quest to protect the endangered Raun, and decide the fate of the world?
- TURN-BASED ENCOUNTERS: Balance force with diplomacy in an innovative turn-based combat system. Live with the consequences as you deal with the messy reality of animal conservation.
- SQUAD BUILDING: Assemble up to 9 squads from 100s of characters with diverse traits, weaknesses, abilities, and personalities. Train and upgrade your Caretakers across 30+ unique job classes.
- GROW YOUR HEADQUARTERS: Meet leaders, research technologies, and recruit allies in your sci-fi HQ. Balance their conflicting demands to save our world.
- DARK NARRATIVE: The individuals outside your squad matter as much as the rangers you deploy on each map. Follow a grim narrative from devastating losses through a hope of a better future.
- TECHNOLOGY TREE: From field-level technology upgrades, to large-scale speculative research and development, your technology decisions have a global impact.
- YOU GET A BABY RAUN: It will nuzzle against your bed long after it grows too large to reasonably do so. It is adorable.