This is for those of you who couldn’t wake up for the PlayStation 5 games and reveal showcase at 4 am (GMT+8) this morning, and for those of you who woke up for it, this can be a recap.
So as you probably know already by now. Sony’s next-gen showcase finally took place. The event was supposed to happen earlier before it was postponed to allow more ‘important voices’ to be heard, referring to the recent turmoil in the United States and around the world after the murder of one African-American man, George Floyd, at the hands of the police in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
In the Livestream event earlier today, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) finally fired their cannons. Not only was an impressive lineup of games shown, but the much-awaited PlayStation 5 console itself was revealed!
The PlayStation 5 itself.
Let’s talk about the console first. The PlayStation 5 looks beautiful. Though this can be subjective to different people, I personally find the console beautiful. Especially when compared to Microsoft’s Xbox Series X straight forward design.
The new PlayStation console will come in two types. The disc version, and the digital version. As their name suggests, the disc version comes with an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive whereas the digital-only version comes without it.
As shown in the photo above, the PlayStation 5 will launch together with several accessories.
- PULSE 3D wireless headset – offering 3D audio support and dual noise-canceling microphones;
- HD Camera – featuring dual 1080p lenses for gamers to broadcast themselves along with their epic gameplay moments;
- Media Remote – remote control with a built-in microphone to navigate movies and streaming services with ease; and
- DualSense Charging Station – for convenient charging of two DualSense Wireless Controllers.
There was no announcement on the pricing yet although Sony did issue a statement saying the price announcement will come at a later date.
Now, let’s talk games?
Sony came out with guns blazing this morning, announcing a total of 28 games for the PlayStation 5. Some would be launch titles, while some will come later.
PS5 Games from SIE Worldwide Studios and second-party partners
- Astro’s Playroom (Japan Studio)
- Demon’s Souls (Bluepoint Games / Japan Studio)
- Destruction All-Stars (Lucid Games / XDEV)
- Gran Turismo 7 (Polyphony Digital)
- Horizon Forbidden West (Guerrilla Games)
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales (Insomniac Games)
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (Insomniac Games)
- Returnal (Housemarque / XDEV)
- Sackboy A Big Adventure (Sumo Digital / XDEV)
Let’s face it, we have all guessed at least half of the titles in that list but are still happy to see them confirmed and announced nonetheless.
PS5 Games from third-party publishers and developers
- Bugsnax (Young Horses)
- DEATHLOOP (Bethesda)
- Ghostwire™: Tokyo (Bethesda)
- Godfall™ (Gearbox Publishing / Counterplay Games)
- Goodbye Volcano High (KO-OP)
- Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar Games)
- HITMAN 3 (IO Interactive)
- JETT : The Far Shore® (Superbrothers)
- Kena: Bridge of the Spirits (Ember Lab)
- Little Devil Inside (Neostream Interactive)
- NBA 2K21 (2K, Visual Concepts)
- Oddworld Soulstorm™ (Oddworld Inhabitants™)
- Pragmata (Capcom)
- Project Athia* (Square Enix/Luminous Productions)
- Resident Evil™ Village (Capcom)
- Solar Ash (Annapurna Interactive / Heart Machine)
- Stray (Annapurna / Blue Twelve Studio)
- Tribes of Midgard (Gearbox Publishing / Norsfell)
- The Pathless (Annapurna Interactive / Giant Squid)
Square Enix’s Project Athia and DEATHLOOP by Bethesda are two new console exclusive IPs that are coming to the PlayStation 5.
We were wishing that Rockstar would show their new project in this showcase but that didn’t happen. Instead, we learn that GTAV will be coming to the PlayStation 5. This would mark the third PlayStation console the game has launched in (since PlayStation 3) when the game comes to the PS5 in 2021.
GTAV owners on the PS4 will get $1,000,000 on their GTA Online account every month, until the game PS5 version of the game launches. An enhanced and expanded version of the GTA Online will be available to all PS5 owners for free within the first 3 months. Once claimed, the standalone game is yours to keep.
Stay tuned for more PlayStation 5 news! We are as excited as you are <3